Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saw my neurologist in Colorado Springs Friday and she saw I'm doing worse, even after my 5 days of infusions of solu-medrol steroids. It was decided to put me on Tysabri or natalizumab (nat ta LIZ yoo mab). I will wait to see where the company will infuse me, hopefully Albuquerque. I will still need to see my neurologist in Colorado so she can monitor me closely. There are risks to this medicine, i.e. TYSABRI increases the risk of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML), an opportunistic viral infection of the brain that usually leads to death or severe disability. Although the cases of PML were limited to patients with recent or concomitant exposure to immunomodulators or immunosuppressants, there were too few cases to rule out the possibility that PML may occur with TYSABRI monotherapy.

No comments: